Eight ‘Business as Ministry’ Basics
Dec.04.2017 Business Resources
We each have a destiny in the heart of God (see Eph 2:10). As we close 2017 and look toward 2018, it’s good to review the foundational elements of our practice and process as Christian leaders and stewards to evaluate what, if any, changes we might make for the New Year to nurture that destiny. In the important area of Christian ministry, in and through our businesses, which consume so much of our time and energy, C12 has found that there are eight basic practices and perspectives and three leadership commonalities that combine to encourage best-practice ministry results. The eight basic practices are:
3. A heart for the salvation of the lost (2Pe 3:9). (Note: while not everyone is an evangelist, all effective Christian ministry has this heart)
5. Willingness to give from the increase God provides (Lk 6:38)
6. Pursuit of excellence in all processes, products and services (Col 3:23) 7. Investing in transparent and accountable relationships (1Jn 1:7) 8. Commitment to personal spiritual growth and development (2Pe 3:17,18)
7. Investing in transparent and accountable relationships (1Jn 1:7)
8. Commitment to personal spiritual growth and development (2Pe 3:17,18)
The three leadership commonalities that we find in the most fruitful and effective Christian businesses are:
1. They are led. Fruitfulness doesn’t just happen. The men and women who lead fruitful Christ-centered businesses are very intentional (Ro 12:8b).
2. They use a God-focused Mission Statement that’s (a) short and easy to memorize, (b) personally inspiring in exciting their sense of ministry, and (c) used as an arbiter in decision-making (Hab 2:2,3).
3. The leader pursues intimacy with God through a daily quiet time (2Tim 2:15).
These eleven observations aren’t intended to form a one-size-fits-all legalistic checklist. Rather, they are a compilation collected over many years of working with thousands of Christians who lead businesses. Across many different arenas, with many different God-given personalities and very diverse gift packages, hundreds of business owners and CEOs are demonstrating the power of living out Matthew 5:16, “let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.” May His light shine through you and your business to the greatest degree ever in 2018!